I am delighted to announce (maybe relieved is more accurate; it's been a lot of work!) that in January West will publish the fifth edition of the consumer law casebook that I co-author with Dee Pridgen and Chris Peterson. I'm looking forward to teaching the updated version of the materials that appeared in the last edition as well as the all-new section on student loan servicing, which has, for better or worse, become more important. A new edition of the Selected Consumer Statutes will appear in December. Here's an except from West's announcement:
Cases and Materials on Consumer Law (5th Ed.) retains its comprehensive coverage and has been completely updated to reflect new developments in the dynamic field of consumer law, including:
- Internet marketing, ad substantiation, celebrity and other testimonials, and new developments in online consumer contracts
- Consumer credit regulation, including new Supreme Court cases dealing with credit reporting and debt collection, as well as the latest developments with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Consumer privacy, including the new California Consumer Privacy Act, the Internet of Things, biometrics, online marketing, cybersecurity and new developments concerning the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Developing and emerging payment systems – e.g., credit, debit, and prepaid cards, as well as mobile payments, digital wallets, and cryptocurrency
- Remedies – latest U.S. Supreme Court and regulatory developments on consumer arbitration and class actions
- Predatory lending (“capstone” chapter), the legal fallout from the subprime mortgage foreclosure crisis and beyond
- Student loan disclosures, collections and servicing; and deceptive school admissions marketing to prospective students
This text contains a balance of cases, problems that reflect modern situations, and notes with discussion questions and references to the latest consumer protection scholarship. An updated teacher's manual and a new statutory supplement, entitled Selected Consumer Statutes 2019, are available also.
More information here.